Wednesday, May 5, 2010

New York Horticultural Society Gala


I was so pleased to be invited to participate in this year's Horticultural Society Gala. The theme was Myths, Legends and Fairy Tales. Because I have been involved in a production of Sleeping Beauty (more about that in another blog post) I decided to retell the ending and create it in flowers on my table...
As the prince searched for Sleeping Beauty the brambles fell away to reveal a beautiful garden and as dusk fell fireflies lit his way.
I used shades of my favorite colors: lavender, blue, purple, green to evoke twilight and led lights stood in for the fireflies. Here I am with my "Angel" of a helper making the tree for the center of the table.

We have to wait for the official photos from the event to see the details - the fireflies don't show up in my photos - they were in the flowers, on the tree, and in each napkin nosegay so each guest at the table had an individual firefly. The nosegays were a big hit! The beautiful tablecloth from The Total Table was the perfect compliment to the flowers, I love the soft muted aqua color and the textural floral pattern called "Melanie". Photos: Robert Gattullo





No comments: